If you’re not a salad enthusiast or kale enthusiast, just hear me out for a second. The KEY to an out-of-this-world salad is variation! Variation in flavor, color, and texture. This salad has it all, crunchy, creamy, soft, leafy, tangy, sweet, savory, satisfying, and so PRETTY with those pops of purple and red! And while your mouth is enjoying all the amazing flavor in this delicious strawberry kale salad, your body will also be celebrating the major nutrition boost.
Don’t like kale? Have you tried this?
A lot of people turn their nose up at kale before they’ve tried massaging it with a little bit of olive oil and lemon juice. Doing this turns kale from bitter and tough into a soft, delicious bed of greens that makes a beautiful base for fruit and other crunchy toppings.
How to Massage Kale:
Massaging kale is exactly what it sounds like, there’s no special technique involved. Literally just drizzle a little bit of olive oil over it and a squeeze of lemon, and massage it with your hands for 30 seconds or so to work the oil and lemon juice into the leaves. You can play around with the amount of lemon juice and oil to find what tastes good to you.
More delicious salads to try:
- Potato & Sprouted Lentil Breakfast Salad
- Vegan Kale Caesar Salad w/ Chickpea Croutons
- Cherry Almond Salad w/ Quinoa, Millet & Mint
- Spring Roll Bowl
- Peach, Blueberry, & Avocado Salad
- Cabbage & Citrus Salad w/ Miso Tahini Dressing
If you make this rainbow crunch strawberry & kale salad, leave a star rating or comment below! Your feedback is so helpful to me and other readers. You can also tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen, or join my free private facebook group to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see what you all are making.
Rainbow Crunch Strawberry Kale Salad
Veggies & Fruit
- 3 cups kale, thinly chopped
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped finely or shredded
- 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped small
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped, optional
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
Protein / Fat
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, 1 oz
- 1/2 avocado, diced, 2 oz
- 1 tbsp olive oil, 0.5 oz
- 1/2 lemon, or lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and fresh pepper, a pinch of each
- If using kale with tough ribs, cut the ribs out of the kale and finely chop the leaves. Add the kale to a bowl along with the fresh lemon or lime juice and olive oil.
- Massage the kale with your hands for 30 seconds or so until it is soft. This step is to remove the bitterness and soften the greens.
- Add the broccoli florets and rub a little bit of oil into them to make them soft and yummy.
- Toss with the rest of the ingredients and enjoy!