Most brands of BBQ sauce are loaded with sugar or corn syrup. Here’s a healthier alternative. This smoky & flavorful sugar-free BBQ sauce is perfect for slathering on slabs of plant protein or simmering with a pot of beans.
- 1 15-oz can fire roasted tomatoes, 15 oz
- 1 chipotle pepper canned in adobo sauce, or sub chipotle paste or powder, to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup chopped onion, or 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp chili powder, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and pepper, smoky varieties are great for this
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp liquid smoke
- 3/4 cup organic veggie broth or water, or more to thin
- Throw everything into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes in a small pot.
- Store in the fridge for a week, or as long as you would store an open can of tomato sauce.