This salad is meant to be enjoyed in the summer, when the ingredients are so fresh, so flavorful, and so satisfying that making an amazing salad with them barely requires a recipe. Just don’t forget the salt to bring out all the flavor, the lemon juice to brighten it up, and the fresh herbs to bring it all together.
Our garden is exploding with sweet, delicious cherry tomatoes right now, and our fridge is exploding too with leftovers from family gatherings. Today I saw leftover in-the-shell edamame from a recent sushi night, and a big bag of corn from a recent family barbecue, and I knew what I had to do.
Modifications: This salad is very versatile. It could easily be made fat-free and oil-free by omitting the olive oil. No need to replace it with anything else. I like the little bit of fat that it contributes, but this would still be a rockstar salad without it. To make it soy-free, swap the edamame for black beans or white beans. If you want to add some grain in there, throw in some cooked quinoa. If you want more fat, add some avocado.
- 2 ears (1.5 cups) fresh sweet summer corn, cooked, cut off the cob 10 oz
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved 8 oz
- 1/3 cup red onion, minced 3 oz
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced 3 oz
- 1 cup shelled edamame, fresh or frozen 8 oz
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 0.5 oz
- 1/4 tsp good quality sea salt or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or more to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or basil, chopped
- Roast or boil the corn, according to your preferred method. I usually make this salad with leftover corn from large group summer barbecues. Here's a great guide to cooking corn.
- Toss together all of the ingredients. I like to add tomatoes at the end as they can be more delicate.
- This salad can be made up to a day ahead and refrigerated.
*Affiliate Link Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I earn a small commission on sales made from my links at no extra cost to you. The products I recommend in my posts are only brands that I can personally recommend and use myself.