Is this delightful summer treat for breakfast or dessert? You choose! It’s healthy enough to be either! It also makes for a nicely balanced breakfast because it’s got fruit, grain, and protein all goin’ on. Whenever I’ve got berries coming out of my ears in the summertime and start looking around for a fruit crisp recipe, I am always amazed at how much sugar people put in it. Amazed. Most recipes dump multiple cups of white sugar on top of it. Why?? Fruit (especially baked fruit) is already so sweet and delicious, in my opinion. So I did away with it.
This recipe is simple yet decadent, without all that added sugar. I did include the option to add a TBSP of natural sweetener if you are using particularly tart fruit or prefer it a little sweeter. Personally, I usually leave it out because I like it tart.
For breakfast, I love pairing this with Coyo unsweetened coconut yogurt (it’s so thick and dreamy) but don’t let me stop you from serving this with ice cream if that feels right.
Feel free to swap for other in-season fruits such as blueberries, apples, or pears. I use a lightly sweetened oat and nut topping with a little bit of coconut oil to give it that extra decadence and crunch.
To me, this represents the best of summer in a bowl. Enjoy!
More Breakfast Bakes to Try:
- Pumpkin Apple Oat Bake
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Bake
- Summer Fruit Crisp w/ Coconut Yogurt
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Baked Oatmeal
If you make this delightful summer berry breakfast crisp, leave a star rating or comment below! Your feedback is so helpful to me and other readers. You can also tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen, or join my free private facebook group to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see your remakes!
Berry Breakfast Crisp
- 1 ripe peach, or other fruit of choice, 6 oz
- 1 cup blackberries, or other fresh berries of choice, 6 oz
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, 2 oz
- 1/4 cup coarse almond meal
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, olive oil, or vegan butter
- 1 Tbsp honey, agave, or maple syrup, optional, if you like it a bit sweeter
- scoop of dairy or non-dairy yogurt of choice
- I love CoYo coconut yogurt, pictured in photo or vanilla ice cream (such as Coconut Bliss) for an extra special treat!
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and lightly grease a cast iron pan or baking dish (with sides) with oil or butter.
- Add the fruit to the pan or baking dish in a flat layer.
- Combine the topping ingredients together in a separate bowl (including the oil) and add on top of the fruit in an even layer.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the fruit is bubbling a little and the topping is nicely browned.
- Allow to cool a little, and then serve warm alongside a scoop of yogurt or ice cream of choice.
- To make this crisp gluten-free, be sure to use certified gluten-free oats. Oats are a naturally gluten-free grain, but are often processed with products containing gluten and this contamination can be enough to trigger an immune response in those with high gluten sensitivity or celiac disease.