How did it take me this long to try sweet potatoes for breakfast? This is a great way to change it up from oatmeal or cereal, and making a big batch of sweet potato mash ahead of time makes this a super easy, no-cook, grab-and-go breakfast option. I usually eat it cold, or microwave pre-cooked potatoes for a minute or two.
There are a bazillion ways to cook sweet potatoes, baking, boiling, pressure cooking, etc. All of them work great for this recipe.
- 4 oz cooked sweet potato
- 1 oz nuts and/or nut butter
- 4 oz plant-based milk or yogurt of choice
- 6 oz banana and/or berries
- Cinnamon to taste
- Vanilla to taste, optional
- If baking your potato, preheat the oven to 350° and stab your sweet potato a few times with a fork to aid in cooking. Put one or more sweet potatoes, whole, unpeeled, in the oven on a baking sheet or dish. Cook until soft, 30-45 minutes depending on the size and shape of the potato.
- Or, use your preferred alternative method for cooking them (boiling, pressure cooking, microwaving)
- Remove the potato from the skins and mix with a dash of cinnamon and 1/4 cup of milk.
- Garnish with desired toppings.
I also love this breakfast when camping, the morning after cooking the sweet potatoes on the coals of last night’s campfire. YUM!