This breakfast hash is hearty, savory, vegan breakfast, and one of my favorite ways to eat tempeh. The lemon herb tahini sauce adds such a fabulous flavor bomb to this already delicious breakfast bowl. To make this meal nightshade free, use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes and omit the peppers. To learn more about how to use tempeh, check out this post.
More Yummy Tempeh Recipes You’ll Love
- The BEST Tempeh Salad
- Creamy Breakfast Polenta w/ Tempeh Crumbles
- 15-Minute Tempeh Tacos (Vegan!)
- Easy BBQ Tempeh & 5-Minute Slaw
- 15-Minute Tempeh Bolognese
If you make this delicious tempeh breakfast hash, leave a star rating or comment below to help out other readers! You can also tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen, or join my free private facebook group to share your creations and keep the inspiration going!
- 12 oz yellow potatoes or sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 lb crimini mushrooms, sliced
- A few handfuls of kale, chopped and briefly steamed or sautéed
- 8 oz tempeh, cubed
Lemon Herb Tahini
- 1/4 cup tahini, 2 oz
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground fenugreek , optional but lovely
- 1/4 tsp good quality sea salt
- Water, non-dairy milk, or dairy milk, to thin
Optional: Marinate Tempeh
- I enjoy tempeh plain, I enjoy marinating it myself, and sometimes I buy pre-marinated tempeh. If you're going to marinate it, begin by tossing plain cubed tempeh in your savory marinade of choice. It doesn't have to be submerged, just toss to coat in a lidded container and turn it upside down every 5 minutes or so. Marinate for at least 15 minutes. (See notes for my favorite tempeh marinades)
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the cubed potatoes and diced veggies in a tiny bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt, pepper, and any additional dried herbs that sound good to you.
- Spread the potatoes and veggies out in a single layer on the baking sheet and place in the oven.
Make Tahini Sauce
- While the potatoes are roasting, make the herb sauce by blending all ingredients in a small blender cup, or in a small jar with an immersion blender. Add water to reach desired consistency. Divide into 4 equal servings, or use about 2 Tbsp for a single serving.
Tempeh & Veggies
- After the potatoes have been in for about 15 minutes, add the tempeh to a non-stick skillet over medium low heat, along with a splash of olive oil.
- Pan fry the tempeh for 5 minutes tossing occasionally, until beginning to turn brown.
- Add your hash veggie of choice into the pan with the tempeh, and pan fry until cooked to your liking.
- Toss the veggie and tempeh mixture with the potatoes, drizzle with the sauce, and enjoy!