This is a hearty, savory, vegan breakfast, and one of my favorite ways to eat tempeh. To make this meal nightshade free, use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes and omit the peppers and paprika.
- 12 oz yellow potatoes or sweet potatoes cubed
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1/2 lb crimini mushrooms sliced
- A few handfuls of kale chopped and briefly steamed or sautéed
- 8 oz tempeh cubed
Creamy Herb Sauce
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- Do Ahead: Marinate the tempeh using your favorite tempeh marinade or use a pre-marinated brand of tempeh (see suggestions in recipe notes)
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the cubed potatoes and diced veggies in a tiny bit of olive oil (or lemon juice for oil-free cooking) and the salt, pepper, and dried thyme.
- Spread the potatoes and veggies out in a single layer on the baking sheet and place in the oven.
- While the potatoes are roasting, make the herb sauce by blending all ingredients in a small blender cup, or in a small jar with an immersion blender. Add water to reach desired consistency. Divide into 4 equal servings, or use about 2 Tbsp for a single serving.
- Briefly steam or sauté the kale, to soften.
- After the potatoes have been in for about 15 minutes, add the marinated tempeh to the pan (brush with a little oil if desired) and return to oven for about 10 minutes.
- Assemble bowls, garnish, and serve.
*Affiliate Link Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I earn a small commission on sales made from my links at no extra cost to you. The products I recommend in my posts are only brands that I can personally recommend and use myself.