Here’s an easy and yummy way to enjoy tempeh. I get my fresh tempeh locally from Squirrel and Crow which is insanely delicious. Fresh tempeh vs. packaged storebought tempeh… it’s like night and day. But regular tempeh is totally fine too. Or, if you are an omnivore, feel free to swap out the tempeh for regular taco meat.
- Shredded cabbage or lettuce
- Carrots grated or diced
- Tomatoes diced
- Onions or red onions small dice
- Green onions sliced
- Cilantro chopped
- 8 oz tempeh (1 package)
- 4 oz avocado (or about 1 avocado)
- Or… make an avocado lime dressing by blending the avocado with the following:
- 1/2 lime juiced
- Minced garlic or garlic powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- Chopped cilantro to taste
- Water to thin to drizzling consistency
- Mango or pineapple, chopped to garnish
- Tortillas or tortilla chips (if you eat flour products)
Condiments & Spices
- 1 Tbsp storebought taco seasoning (or make your own below):
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- Using a cheese grater with large holes, grate the tempeh. (I know it sounds strange, but it will work, I promise!)
- Add the grated tempeh to a wide nonstick skillet, and toss with about 1 tsp of oil, broth, or water (Depending on whether or not you prefer to cook with oil).
- Cook until warmed and starting to brown, about 5 min.
- Toss with the dry spices.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste with about 1 Tbsp of water so that it’s easier to combine with the tempeh, and stir well. Cook about 5 more minutes, until well absorbed.
- Assemble your salad, top with tempeh and avocado, and enjoy!