Here’s my dreamy, go-to mushroom risotto recipe, which happens to be naturally vegan. I recommend using arborio rice, because the starch that is released during cooking is what makes risotto so creamy.
If you try this delicious vegan risotto recipe, let me know! Leave a comment below, rate it, or tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen. Or, join my free private facebook group to share your creations and inspire others!
- 1/2 cup arborio rice, dry 4 oz
- 4 oz onion shallots, or leeks, diced
- 1 lb in-season mushrooms shredded or sliced (I love oysters, chanterelles, criminis, or maitakes)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil or butter 2 oz
- 1.5 cups veggie broth
- 1/2 cup red or white wine
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried tarragon or other Italian herbs
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari for gluten free
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast or grated parmesan if not vegan
- Fresh chopped herbs to garnish thyme, marjoram, sage, etc.
- In a large skillet, sauté the mushrooms until well browned in 2 Tbsp of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the leeks in the rest of the oil until translucent. Add the wine and rice.
- Heat the vegetable stock in a separate saucepan.
- Stir hot vegetable stock into the rice, 1/2 cup at a time until absorbed, for about 20-25 minutes or until cooked.
- Stir in mushrooms and seasonings.
- Salt if needed, depending on the salt content of the vegetable broth you used.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy!
*Affiliate Link Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I earn a small commission on sales made from my links at no extra cost to you. The products I recommend in my posts are only brands that I can personally recommend and use myself.
More Yummy Grain Dishes:
- Wild Rice Stuffing w/ Apples, Cranberries, & Toasted Pecans
- Spiced Quinoa, Apple, and Hazelnut Stuffing
- Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Quinoa
- Butternut Squash Risotto