Don’t you just looooove summer fruit? I came back from the farmers market this weekend with boxes of berries (which turn out to be pretty cost effective when you buy them in-season and in bulk!) and I’ve been experiencing berry bliss all week. I’m in summer breakfast parfait heaven.
When it’s in-season and cheaper, I usually buy more fruit than I can eat. My favorite thing to do with it (besides just grazing on it and adding it to delicious oatmeal or overnight oats) is to cook it down into a simple fruit compote. (Check out my instagram stories for a demo on making compote out of a big box of plums!) It’s super easy, delicious in oatmeal, yogurt, and all kinds of breakfasts, and freezes well. Try making compote with plums, peaches, blueberries, strawberries, cherries, or blackberries! When these fruits are in season, they are so yummy and naturally sweet that there’s no need for any added sweeteners. I love the tartness of the compote paired with the the natural sweetness of coconut yogurt, fresh fruit, and granola.
When I’m feeling fancy and have delicious fruit on hand, I love to celebrate the beautiful in-season flavors with a summer breakfast parfait. I like to layer my compote and overnight oats with plant-based yogurt and granola, and fruit. It’s a great way to start the day with a little extra beauty, self-care and decadence.
This breakfast is naturally sweetened from the gorgeous summer fruit. For those who don’t eat any sweeteners at all, check out my sweetener-free peanut butter granola and tutorial for making unsweetened plant-based yogurt.
- 1/4 cup rolled oats 1 oz
- 1/4 cup granola 1 oz
- 1/2 cup yogurt 4 oz
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk 4 oz
- 2 handfuls fruit for compote try berries, plums, or peaches
- 1 handful fresh berries or chopped fruit
The Night Before
- Compote: Place the fruit in a saucepan over low heat. Remove stems or pits before cooking. Simmer for 10-20 minutes, allowing the fruit to release it’s water. Add 1 Tbsp of water if it’s sticking, and simmer with the lid off or add 1 tsp of chia seeds to thicken it. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Overnight Oats: In the bottom of each parfait glass, mix 1/4 of oats with 1/4 cup of milk. Stir in a dash of cinnamon and other superfood add-ins such as flax, chia, or hemp seeds if desired. Refrigerate overnight.
- Granola: If making homemade granola, whip it up the night before and let it sit overnight on the countertop covered with a clean dish towel, to cool and crisp up. See the granola recipe linked below for instructions.
In the Morning
- On top of the overnight oats, layer the compote, yogurt, fruit, and granola (if using). Garnish with berries on the top, admire, and devour!
- To make this meal gluten-free, be sure to use certified gluten-free oats. Oats are a naturally gluten-free grain, but are often processed with products containing gluten and this contamination can be enough to trigger an immune response in those with high gluten sensitivity or celiac disease.
- My favorite granola recipe
- How to make your own yogurt
- More compote ideas
- Try adding a little balsamic to your compote!