Breakfast grits are as quick and easy to make as oatmeal (they only take about 5 minutes!) and they are so delicious and comforting. To make them vegan, I use plant-based milk for creaminess and a spoonful of nutritional yeast for cheesiness. The topping possibilities are endless, but I love crunchy corn kernels and veggie sausage.
I loooove my sweet, fruity oatmeal, but sometimes I’m in the mood for a savory breakfast. On those days, these cozy vegan grits hit the SPOT!
Grits vs. Polenta: What’s the Difference?
Wondering about the difference between grits and polenta? There isn’t a difference really. Polenta and corn grits are two names for the same thing – ground dried corn. Some are white and some are yellow, depending on the corn. Different types have different cultural heritages, and the size of the grind varies with both, but they are interchangeable. Depending on the size of the grind, you’ll need more or less water to reach a similar consistency. Cornmeal is used for baking and texture on foods, and is not good for porridge.
Toppings for Grits
- Sautéd kale, collard greens, chard, or spinach
- Cherry tomatoes or cooked tomato sauce
- Tempeh crumbles
- Veggie sausage (I love field roast or beyond meat)
- Avocado slices
- Raw or frozen corn kernels
- Roasted asparagus or broccoliin
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Ricotta (vegan or dairy)
- Fresh herbs
- Green onions
If you’re not vegan, try adding in some grated cheese, crumbled sausage or bacon, or top with a fried egg!
Looking for More Savory Vegan Breakfasts?
- Creamy Breakfast Polenta w/ Tempeh Crumbles
- Potato & Sprouted Lentil Breakfast Salad
- Summer Breakfast Polenta
- Butternut Apple & Sausage Breakfast Hash
- Tempeh Breakfast Hash w/ Lemon Herb Tahini
- Summer Tofu Scramble w/ Roasted Potatoes
If you make this recipe, leave a star rating or comment below! Your feedback is so helpful to me and other readers. You can also tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see what you all are making.
Vegan Grits with Corn and Sausage
- 1/2 cup corn grits, white or yellow
- 2 cups plant-based milk, I use soy or almond milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, optional, for cheesiness
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, frozen or fresh
- 4 breakfast sausage patties, I love beyond meat vegan sausage patties
- green onions, or chives
- pinch of black pepper
- smoked paprika, optional, for a smoky kick
- Fry up your breakfast sausage in a skillet over medium low heat (I cook them straight from frozen) and break into pieces.
- Whisk the porridge ingredients together in a saucepan, and simmer on low for 5-7 minutes, adding more water as needed, until they stop absorbing water and reach your desired consistency.
- Stir in a handful of frozen corn and the breakfast sausage pieces.
- Top with green onions, a pinch of black pepper, and any other desired seasonings.