Here’s a fantastic and versatile egg dish that (almost) makes one complete breakfast and helps to use up those little veggie bits from the week! Some odds & ends I threw into this one included leftover pesto ricotta from my dinner last night and some veggie sausage.
You could also leave out the potato crust to make this into a frittata, and eat it with a side of roasted potatoes or some other grain. In that case you can just bake it directly in a lightly oiled pie pan or casserole dish.
This takes about 45 minutes of prep and 45 minutes to cook. Great for a Sunday brunch or special occasion!
Starchy Veggies (Grain Alternative)
- 12 oz potatoes and/or sweet potatoes sliced into thin rounds
- 5 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk 4 oz
- Sliced sausage, bacon bits, or crumbled tempeh I use plant-based versions
- Crumbled cheese I love almond milk ricotta
Veggies (Choose Any)
- Spinach, kale, or chard steam or sauté prior to adding
- Artichoke hearts
- Dash of sea salt, black pepper, and nutmeg
- Chives, basil, cilantro, or green onions to garnish
- A dollop of pesto, mixed in optional
- Avocado, to garnish optional
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- In a lightly oiled pie pan or casserole dish, lay the potatoes in a single layer to cover the bottom and sides of the dish. It’s fine for them to overlap but don’t pile them on top of each other too much.
- Spray lightly with oil (if desired) and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until partially cooked.
- Beat the eggs with the milk in a bowl or pyrex liquid measuring cup. Stir in a dash of salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Remove the potato crust from the oven. It should be partially cooked and starting to lightly brown.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375°.
- Pour the egg mixture into the crust. Sprinkle in the add-ins such as veggies, protein, pesto, and cheese, distributing evenly.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the top and return to the oven.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the center of the quiche is set. Let rest for at least 15 minutes before eating.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and avocado, if desired.
*Affiliate Link Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I earn a small commission on sales made from my links at no extra cost to you. The products I recommend in my posts are only brands that I can personally recommend and use myself.