In the summertime, nothing is yummier than crunchy refreshing salad veggies with fresh, sweet mango, fresh herbs, and delicious peanut dressing. This salad is very versatile, feel free to play around with other add-ins. If you batch prep a pot of quinoa for the week (see my favorite method here) then this yummy meal comes together in less than 15 minutes.
I like plain tempeh with such a flavorful sauce, lightly steamed and browned in a skillet. Feel free to use pre-marinated tempeh or marinate your own (check out my favorite marinades!)
Summer Salad Veggies
- Handful of butter lettuce torn
- Handful of finely shredded purple cabbage or green cabbage, but purple is so colorful!
- Other salad veggies of choice such as cucumber or carrots
- Sprouts optional
- 1 8-oz package of tempeh, marinated cubed or cut into bite sized slices
- 1 scoop cooked quinoa
- 1 mango cubed or sliced
Peanut Dressing (Makes 2 Servings)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter 2 oz
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 Tbsp sweet chili sauce (or a little bit of chili garlic paste, to taste)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce or sub tamari or liquid aminos for gf
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Lime wedges
- My favorite way to cook tempeh for salads is to steam it for a couple of minutes in a covered skillet with a splash of water (steaming removes any bitterness) and then I add a splash of oil to brown it for a few more minutes.
- Stir the dressing ingredients together in a cup with a fork. Taste and adjust the condiments to your liking.
- Assemble your salad, admire the colors, and enjoy!
- To make this meal gluten-free, be sure to use certified gluten-free quinoa. Quinoa is a naturally gluten-free grain, but it is often processed with products containing gluten and this contamination can be enough to trigger an immune response in those with high gluten sensitivity or celiac disease.
- See my favorite tempeh marinades here.
- See this post for my favorite method for cooking quinoa.