Who said salads were for warm weather only? From eggplant week in my cooking club last month, here’s a delicious warm lentil and eggplant salad for your winter veggie enjoyment. This salad is lemony, garlicky, tomatoey, and full of plant-protein.
If you make this warm lentil & eggplant salad, leave a comment below, rate it, or tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen. Or, join my free private facebook group to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see what you all are making out there.
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, or green lentils
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 garlic clove, smashed, peel removed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, or a pinch of dried thyme
- 1 celery rib, or a few celery leaves
- 2 eggplants, large dice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 pinches of good quality sea salt
- 4-5 grinds of black pepper
Lemon Garlic Dressing
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, or red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh herbs, thyme, cilantro, or parsley
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard, or other coarse yellow mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- pinch of salt
- a few grinds of black pepper
- 1 or 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 or 2 handfuls of arugula, optional
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- a bit of crumbled feta cheese, optional, if eating dairy
Cook the Lentils
- Simmer the lentils with the lentil seasonings in a small saucepan, covered with a lid, for about 20-25 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
- Toss in a strainer to drain off any excess liquid and remove the leaves and sprigs and things.
Roast the Eggplant
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the eggplant cubes in a large bowl and add the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Immediately after adding the oil, toss the eggplant the bowl to coat it evenly and thoroughly.
- Spread the eggplant cubes in a single layer on the tray and roast for about 20 minutes, stir, and continue roasting for another 10 minutes. Take them out when they are browned and golden around the edges but still soft and moist in the middle.
- Toss everything gently together with the dressing, sprinkling the feta on at the end if using.