Salad Dressing Template
Fat | Protein (Optional)
- Oil olive, canola, avocado, sesame etc.
- Nut or seed butter tahini, peanut butter, etc.
- Mayo I use vegan mayo
- Soaked cashews for blended dressings
- Vinegar balsamic, sherry, red wine, white wine, rice, etc
- Lemon juice
- Lime juice
- Orange juice
- The fatty ingredient and the acidic ingredient make a perfectly nice dressing on their own but flavors are obviously fun too!
- Fresh herbs cilantro, basil, chives, parsley
- Dried seasonings cumin, garlic powder
- Chili paste
- soy sauce
- Canned chipotle pepper
- Capers & caper juice for Caesar dressing!
- Combine the fatty thing and the acidic thing in a 3 to 1 ratio. 3 times more fatty thing than acidic thing.
Tips for Mixing Dressings
- The most effective way of combining oil and the vinegar is in a blender. I love to use little blender cups like a magic bullet, because they have lids so I can store them right in their blender containers! Blending also helps the flavor gets evenly incorporated with chunky ingredients like garlic, ginger, or fresh herbs.
- You can also add the ingredients to a glass jar or bottle and shake to combine, or stir in a cup with a fork.
- For best results, all your ingredients should be at room temperature when you begin. The cooler the oil, the more difficult it is to emulsify it.
- Once you've mixed things up, it's nice to let the flavors meld for a while, especially when you go beyond the basic formula and introduce flavorings.