Spiralized veggies and spiralizers are all the rage these days and I’ve decided to finally join the fun. Mostly I just needed something to put my large batch of Meatless Meaty Marinara on top of, and spaghetti squash has gone out of season. So I decided it was time to break out the ol’ spiralizer that’s been gathering dust in the cupboard all winter. I have nothing against it, I just have been too lazy to use it. Turns out there was no good reason for this resistance I was feeling, because it’s really easy to use and clean the thing.
This was a tasty, filling, and quick weeknight meal (less than 30 minutes) because I already had the marinara made. Enjoy!
- 4 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini , spiralized
Protein / More Veggies / Fat
- Hearty Meatless Marinara, or other marinara sauce of choice
- 1 veggie sausage, diced, I use Field Roast or Tofurkey
- splash of oil
Condiments & Spices
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh or dried basil or oregano, to taste
- pinch of nutritional yeast, optional
- Spiralize the zucchini using a veggie spiralizer.
- Slice the mushrooms and veggie sausage.
- Heat a dab of oil in a small saucepan and sauté the mushrooms and veggie sausage together until browned, covering with a lid at first and stirring occasionally, in order to steam them a little and keep them from sticking to the pan.
- Add your desired amount of marinara sauce to the mushrooms and sausage.
- Lightly cook the zoodles, if desired. There are a few ways to do this, you can sauté the zoodles for 1-2 minutes, (I cover them with a lid and steam them a little) but not longer or they will become wet and soggy. You can also microwave them for 20-30 seconds, or you can just enjoy them cold and raw. The point is just to warm them slightly, not to cook them.
- Serve and garnish with basil, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast (if desired).